Monday, March 14, 2011

Meatball Parmesan Sliders

Here is the link for this weeks recipe. This meal was a big hit in our household. I modified it a little bit to fit our taste and needs. I opted to make the meatballs out of beef only. I would have added some ground pork but couldn't find any suitable. I also tripled the garlic...like I do for almost every recipe. I used more fresh parsley than stated and I added fresh basil as well to season the meat a bit more. I had never made homemade meatballs before and I have to say I will probably keep this as a staple in the freezer for those nights I find I want to just throw some spaghetti in the pot for the kids and with some frozen pre-cooked meatballs in the freezer I could pull a few out and thaw them right in the sauce. I used my big kitchen mixer and threw all of the ingredients together and then rolled out about 48 meatballs. My fear in making meatballs is that they might crumble or fall apart when cooking in the sauce...not so! Gently turn them over in the sauce if the sauce isn't covering the whole meatball and they will cook through nicely. Now, I couldn't find brioche bread either, so I opted for the mini slider buns at Trader Joe's and I think they were pretty good. Simply butter each side of the slider bun and toast for a minute in the toaster oven. Add the meatball and kind of push it down a bit so it won't roll off. Then I added a piece of provolone cheese, some red onion and a few fresh basil leaves and returned to the toaster oven until the cheese melted. You can also scoop an extra bit of marinara sauce on right at the end. Scrumptious! Throw in a ceasar and you have dinner girls!

2 comments:

  1. seriously.... SOOOO good heather!!! every one of us ate a plateful.

    ReplyDelete