Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bacon, Gruyere and Arugula Quiche

So, excuse the blurriness of the picture above...I said I can cook not take pictures! I just wanted to show you how pretty this quiche turned out. I almost didn't want to cut it. But, my taste buds got the best of me and I gave in. Meghan gave me the starting point recipe for this basic quiche. You can add just about anything you want in to it.
Quiche basic recipe:
  • 6 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup heavy cream or crème fraîche
  • 1 cup milk (preferably whole)
  • 8 ounces gruyère, emmenthal, or other Swiss-type cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg, salt, pepper and garlic to taste

  • After you make the basic recipe, just add whatever you feel like adding. I added some chopped grilled onion (grill it in the bacon fat...just do it!), bacon pieces, shredded gruyere cheese and fresh arugula. Then simply pour it in the pie crust, which I bought at Trader Joe's and bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes. Watch to make sure your pie crust isn't getting too brown. If it is, simply throw a piece of tin foil over the whole thing and continue cooking.
    I served our quiche with a nice simple spinach salad with toasted almonds, freshly sliced strawberries, red onion and feta. Toss with Trader Joe's Raspberry Vinaigrette.
    The best thing about quiche is that you can eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is so versatile and filling. Plus, you have plenty of leftovers to carry you through a busy week. Enjoy!


    1 comment:

    1. yes, it turned out so yummy and pretty! i loved the crust. the kids had breakfast leftovers the next day and i had lunch leftovers. thanks!!!

      ReplyDelete