Thursday, June 23, 2011

Massaged Kale Salad




I was hesitant to make this salad and I was hesitant to keep its title....I mean come on....MASSAGING a salad! Who has time? Who wants to massage lettuce? But guess what..it was SO good and the reviews were positive, so I decided to post it.
I got the recipe from Aarti Sequeira, a Food Network chef. It is a very easy recipe to make, very delicious and summery and super healthy. Kale is extremely high in Vitamins A, C and K and can pack a punch (a good punch) of nutrition to your diet.
Without further ado here is the recipe:

Ingredients
1 bunch kale (black kale is especially good), stalks removed and discarded, leaves thinly sliced
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
Kosher salt
2 teaspoons honey
Freshly ground black pepper
1 mango, diced small (about 1 cup)
Small handful toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), about 2 rounded tablespoons

Directions
In large serving bowl, add the kale, half of lemon juice, a drizzle of oil and a little kosher salt. Massage until the kale starts to soften and wilt, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside while you make the dressing.

In a small bowl, whisk remaining lemon juice with the honey and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Stream in the 1/4 cup of oil while whisking until a dressing forms, and you like how it tastes.

Pour the dressing over the kale, and add the mango and pepitas. Toss and serve.

I didn't have pepitas on hand so I substituted with toasted slivered almonds and it was so good I think I would suggest making that substitution permanent. Also avocado would be excellent to add for additional protein.

2 comments: